At a time where online shopping and e-commerce are more relevant than ever, small businesses have to start boosting online visibility in order to gain more customers. It’s not always easy to go virtual, though. Small business owners and marketing heads encounter many challenges when they’re just starting out online.
First and foremost, the Google search algorithm is constantly changing. This affects the formula of search engine optimization. As a result, small business owners and marketing heads might have difficulty picking a suitable digital tactic and online marketing tools for a specific business goal. It might also be difficult to determine which strategies to invest in long-term and which ones are just a temporary boost.
Dependable marketing consulting services are supposed to help you get around these challenges and emerge as a successful online business. But how do you know that you’re working with the right agency?
Lesson 1: Things to Keep in Mind when Hiring a Marketing Consultant
It’s easy to find a marketing consultant — simply conduct a Google search and many will appear. But finding a consultant and knowing that they’re good for your business are two different things. These are factors to look out for when you’re trying to narrow down your choices:
- Skillset: Marketing consultants are expected to have deep knowledge about different types of marketing tools and strategies. They have to be confident in delivering measurable results.
- Experience: Make sure that your consultant can put theory into practice. It’s one thing to know how marketing works, and another to actually make a digital marketing strategy work for your benefit.
- Client Relationships: Your marketing consultant is supposed to have your best interests in mind. You need to have a comfortable working relationship with them and trust that they can help you.
These three factors are important in taking the first step toward the success of your online business ventures.
Lesson 2: What to Expect from your Digital Marketing Consultant
When you’re looking for a digital marketing consultant for your small business, you have to set expectations for them. Consider these things that you should expect from a capable consultant:
- Transparency: A good consultant should be transparent with their reports, regardless of how flattering the data is or how bad the numbers are.
- Responsiveness: Digital marketing is one of the most dynamic industries, so your consultant should know how to respond quickly to changes.
- Proven Strategies: Although marketing strategies are unique to each client’s business goals, a good consultant should have a template for success.
- Ongoing Campaigns: You want to work with a consultant who’s interested in your long-term business growth, not someone who prescribes and goes.
By meeting these expectations, your marketing consultant can easily help you meet your business goals.
Lesson 3: How to Pick the Right Digital Marketing Consultant
Internet marketing for small businesses takes a lot of resources. Choose the right consultant who is dedicated to your success. Here’s a way to streamline your selection process and determine the right candidate:
- Marketing Expertise: Determine the type of online marketing you need and find candidates who specialize in your required marketing focus area.
- Performance and Portfolio: Are you aiming for a greater following? Or for higher conversions? Either way, review the candidate’s portfolio to know what they can do.
- Scope of Work: Define your ideal endgame and discuss the scope of work needed to get there. You need to be on the same page with your consultant.
When the candidate ticks all these boxes, you know they’re the right one for your business.
Let’s Get Started on Your Digital Marketing Strategy
Athena Integrated Marketing is dedicated to the success of small businesses. We design comprehensive digital marketing strategies that call out to your target audience and enable you to form strong business relationships with them. Let our marketing consultants help nurture your customers and secure your long-term success.